NEARLY 20 jobs workshops will be held around regional Queensland as part of a political Federal Government decision to help public service workers around the state.
On Sunday, the government announced 18 regional jobs and information workshops would be held around the state to back up three major jobs expos it announced last month.
Among the regional centres to host a workshop were Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Bundaberg, Ipswich, Gympie and Toowoomba.
Despite the worsening outlook for the Federal Budget, the government found an extra $850,000 to hold the expos and workshops after Premier Campbell Newman sacked 14,000 public servants earlier this year.
A statement from Employment Minister Bill Shorten's office said the information sessions would offer advice to jobless Queenslanders, including how to access financial and mental health counselling.
The three-hour sessions would be delivered by private sector employment experts and Commonwealth local employment coordinators and other federal public servants.
But places for the regional workshops were limited, and people were encouraged to register at: deewr.gov.au
REGIONAL JOBS WORKSHOPS:
- Bundaberg: Tuesday October 16 - Civic Centre.
- Maryborough: Wednesday October 17 - Brolga Theatre
- Caboolture: Monday October 22 - Caboolture Hub (4 Hasking St)
- Ipswich: Wednesday October 24 - Ipswich Metro International Hotel (43 South St)
- Sunshine Coast: Friday November 2 - Lake Kawana Community Centre
- Gympie: Tuesday November 13 - Gympie RSL (217 Mary St)
- Rockhampton: Monday November 19 - Leichhardt Hotel (Denham St)
- Mackay: Wednesday November 21 - Mackay Grande Suites (9 Gregory St)
- Toowoomba: Wednesday 28 - Picnic Point (164 Tourist Rd)
- Dalby: Thursday November 29 - Dalby RSL (69 Drayton St)
NOTE: All workshops 9am to noon; except Gympie and Dalby (2pm to 5pm); Rockhampton 1.30pm to 4.30pm and Mackay (9.30am to 12.30pm).