Where are Queensland's new speed cameras?
THE Queensland Police Service and the Department of Transport and Main Roads have selected eight high risk intersections across Queensland to include new combined red light and speed camera systems.
The combined red light and speed camera technology detects motorists who disobey the red traffic light, as well as motorists who speed through the intersection.
Eleven per cent of all serious casualties on Queensland roads occurred at intersections with traffic lights.
During the past five years, 42 people have been killed and more than 3,000 hospitalised in crashes at signalised intersections in Queensland.
Assistant Commissioner Mike Keating, Road Policing Command, said of the selection of the intersections were based on crashes that involved speed and red light related incidents at those locations.
"The combined red light and speed cameras have proven to reduce the incidence of speeding and red light running at these intersections," Assistant Commissioner Keating said.
"These approved camera systems create safer roads for all Queenslanders and are designed to function 24 hours a day, seven days a week."
Assistant Commissioner Keating said red light running was often associated with speeding and there is was no single reason why drivers did it.
"What we do know is that the resulting crashes are likely to be T-bone crashes, which have a higher potential of causing death or serious injury," Assistant Commissioner Keating said.
"We want drivers to comply with traffic light signals and the speed limit through intersections.''
From yesterday, the new combined red light and speed cameras will be operational at the following intersections:
- Glenlyon Street, Gladstone Central at intersection with Tank Street; and
- Anzac Avenue Road, Kippa-Ring at intersection with Boardman Road.
From yesterday, the following Intersections will be upgraded from red light camera system to a combined red light and speed camera system:
- Morayfield Road, Morayfield (intersection of Caboolture River Road)
- Lutwyche Road, Lutwyche (intersection of Norman Avenue)
- Lutwyche Road, Kedron (intersection of Kedron Park Road)
- Old Cleveland Road, Coorparoo (intersection of Cavendish Road)
- Smith Street, Southport (intersection of Kumbari Avenue)
- Bermuda Street, Burleigh Waters (intersection of Christine Avenue)
The combined red light and speed camera systems have advisory signs installed prior to the intersection advising motorists that a combined red light and speed camera system is operating.