SPORT luxury or luxury sport - which style floats your boat? It was a well-worn catchphrase by the end of Holden's new VF Commodore launch.
Last weekend the Calais was revealed, and Holden has now unveiled the SS derivative to coincide with United States launch at the Daytona 500 where it will be rebadged a Chevrolet SS Sports Sedan.
Like the Calais, the SS has gone up-market inside and out.
But walking a similar line to the HSV Senator, this sporting derivative doesn't have in your face styling. It's almost regal athleticism.
Distinguishing features over the Calais on the outside are black aprons front and back, along with different 20-inch alloys.
The launch car also had an understated small rear lip spoiler. Holden said there will be an option for a larger wing.
"We've taken a great existing form and brought it up to another level," chief designer Richard Ferlazzo said.
"The surfacing is more flamboyant and contemporary, way more sophisticated. We've succeeded in putting in more action and detail.
"One of our main goals was to improve aerodynamic performance and as a result many visual elements are much bolder. There's also more embellishment in terms of chrome highlights. Headlamp and tail lamp treatments are layered, complex and intricately detailed."
Discreet styling flows inside. Large colour blocks have been outsted, soft leather and suede are now the materials of choice throughout the cabin.
Carbon fibre-look touches, red stitching, SS lettering and a light grey colour scheme create a classy ambience. There is also an option for a predominantly black interior with grey stitching.
Chrome pieces are also used throughout, with the smaller brighter inserts designed to catch more light.
Chief designer for colour and trim Sharon Gauci said the lighter cabin emphasised the Commodore's new sophistication - with the bling primarily on the outside.
"It's not over the top. We really wanted the emphasis on sports luxury," she said.
"The new VF interior environment is designed to go above and beyond traditional customer expectations.
"With VF, we aimed to create the ultimate interior for the price point with a harmonious and cohesive approach to our colour and trim strategy."
Prices and drivetrain details will be revealed closer to launch in May.
SS V-Series show car exterior feature highlights:
- Custom Kandy 'Fantale'metallic paint finish
- Twin five-spoke 20-inch wheels, hand-machined in billet aluminium, custom finished in gloss black
- Front Brembo brake calipers finished in gloss silver
- Wide, dominant front fascia features traditional sports grille and a prominent lower air intake, both laced in custom gunmetal chrome
- Sculpted, jewelled halogen projector headlamps with black bezels curve into prominent front fenders, flared, aero-modified wheel arches
- Muscular lower fascia incorporates LED daylight running lamps and black bezel fog lamps, custom gunmetal chrome accents, outboard extensions integrated into sharp sports rockers
- Prominent VF aluminium hood with centre crease emphasises performance potential; two raking spears sweep from the A-pillars
- Low, wide VF rear sports fascia - streamlined graphics with integrated tail lamps, aluminium decklid, body-colour bib spoiler, custom gloss black finish sports valance incorporating licence plate and quad V8 exhausts
In profile, vertical fender vents and window surrounds are finished in custom gunmetal chrome
SS V-Series show car interior feature highlights:
- All-new instrument panel with integrated centre stack combines high-resolution Holden MyLink infotainment system with 20cm touch screen, climate and other controls
- Ergonomically advanced design relocates controls to more convenient positions, introduces console-mounted electric park brake control
- Cowled, angled instrument dials flank a LCD Driver Information Display screen with colour graphics
- All-new seat structures combine sports back and high-bolstered side support
- High-quality, layered finishes in smooth soft-feel leather and suede with perforated leather inserts are accented by contrast twin-needle and deck stitching
- Sports profile leather wrap steering wheel design is motorsport-inspired
- Ice blue ambient lighting illuminates lower centre console and door pull recesses
- Extra large dual cupholders can accommodate a wide range of container sizes