Menu
News

Another rock attack — the 32nd so far this year

A TRUCK driver has become the 32nd victim of rock throwers while driving along the Southern Expressway - on the same day that long-awaited Government countermeasures began to be installed.

The driver was travelling south along the freeway when a rock hit his windscreen as he passed under the Seacombe Rd bridge at Darlington about 2.40pm on Tuesday.

Fortunately he escaped without injury.

The incident on Tuesday afternoon is the 32nd rock throwing attack so far this year.

Patrols, the SAPOL helicopter and police dog Zac searched the area but did not find any suspects.

The expressway was also searched with no rocks or items located on the roadway.

The Seacombe Road overpass along the Southern Expressway. Picture: Bianca De Marchi
The Seacombe Road overpass along the Southern Expressway. Picture: Bianca De Marchi

It comes as the Opposition demands legislation to double the jail time from five years to 10 for offenders.

Labor leader Peter Malinauskas said rock throwers are "thugs and criminals".

"It's a shocking state of affairs when we have motorists refusing to drive down the

Southern Expressway amid fears a rock could smash through their window," he said on Wednesday.

Labor has previously called to install temporary cyclone fencing and high powered lighting on the expressway, as well as $50,000 reward in return for information that resulted in convictions.

Any motorists who becomes a victim of objects being thrown at their car while driving is asked to stop their vehicle when safe and contact the Police Assistance line immediately on 131 444.

Anyone with information about any incident of rock throwing is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Topics:  adelaide crash rock throwing truck driver