NO MORE TRUCKS: Councillor Steve Griffiths (left) and local residents want trucks to use Beaudesert Rd instead of Watson Rd in Acacia Ridge.
NO MORE TRUCKS: Councillor Steve Griffiths (left) and local residents want trucks to use Beaudesert Rd instead of Watson Rd in Acacia Ridge. (AAP/Renae Droop)

QTA wasn't consulted before Brisbane shut-out

IN NEWS that surprises no one, trucks are being targeted yet again. After several 24-7 bans and curfews in Melbourne, it's now Brisbane's turn.

This time, this particular restriction is set to happen on a suburban road in the city's south at Acacia Ridge.

The ban, which will be trialled for 12 months, will be an extension of the existing off-limits ruling on Watson Rd in Acacia Ridge, which was imposed in 2015 and stopped trucks from using the road from 8pm-6am.

The new stoppage will be in effect from July 1 and truck drivers in vehicles weighing 4.5 tonnes or more will now be directed by signs to access the areas via Learoyd Rd, which feeds into Beaudesert Rd.

While the changed route is said to only add two minutes per trip, Queensland Trucking Association chief executive officer Gary Mahon said it's disappointing that the QTA wasn't consulted.

"Generally speaking trucks and deliveries don't use and are not taking the back streets for the fun of it,” Mr Mahon said.

"It's interesting that they are interpreting it as a 'win for the community' as now the community has pushed up their transport costs because it'll take longer.

"We are a responsible industry and we operate to the best of our ability as safe as possible and we are an essential link to the standards of living that we all enjoy.”

ALP Brisbane City Councillor Steve Griffiths (Moorooka ward) said council statistics showed 800 heavy vehicles used the road each day and the trial was put in place after complaints from residents about safety and noise.

"The residents have been working for a long time to get a ban put in place and the 12-month trial is so we can see the implications of it and see where to go after,” Mr Griffiths told Big Rigs.

He said bus and garbage trucks would be exempt from the ban and police were being asked to enforce it, with Brisbane City Council erecting signage directing drivers to take the alternate route.

Mr Griffiths said the council's study showed half the vehicles were using the route as a "through road” and the other 400 were using it for the BMI Resource Recovery Facility.

"We are looking at how the ban will work with BMI,” he said.

"Obviously the trucks using the BMI are able to by law because the address of BMI is on Watson Rd.

"We're seeking to work co-operatively with the industry, (so that means) not going past the schools and the residents.”

Mr Griffiths said "the difficulty with me is where residents and industry are living side by side”.

"I'm not against trucks but where we can get trucks out of residential areas and there's existing good alternates to use, we should be using that,” he said.

"I'm representing residents and a lot of those residents are truck drivers too.”

He said while there had been a near-miss reported on the road, he understood there had been no crashes.

Big Rigs

Australia’s cockiest drivers exposed

Australia’s cockiest drivers exposed

Men are more likely to lose their cool

Director ordered to pay $118,000 after fatal truck collision

Director ordered to pay $118,000 after fatal truck collision

Victim's family says company got off too easy.