Operation detects 38 defects in Sydney

MORE than 60 trucks have been inspected as part of operation Haul Over so far today.

New South Wales police say the operation is set to continue tomorrow.

This operation was started by the Joint Heavy Vehicle Taskforce including NSW Police and Roads and Maritime Service officers to ensure safety and compliance of distribution trucks on New South Wales Roads. 

A Roads and Maritime Spokesperson said the heavy vehicle operation was under way focusing on the M7, Wetherill Park and Botany to check light, medium and heavy rigid Pantech and tautliner trucks.

NSW police say inspections are being carried out on vehicles for safety and compliance at heavy vehicle checking stations at Wetherill Park and Port Botany.

"They are also being intercepted on the M7, outside of peak travel times," police said.

"The operation is focused on road worthiness, mass and load restraint in a sector of the heavy vehicle industry which has been growing in line with the increase of online home delivery supermarket orders," they said.

Interim results at 2pm showed 66 trucks have been inspected.

Out of the 66 trucks, eight trucks received major defects such as brake and suspension issues.

Thirty trucks received minor defects - this can include things such as mud guard damage, windscreen cracks, small oil leaks, lighting issues. Ten trucks were required to adjust their loads.

Police say they breath-tested 97 drivers with no positive results while 34 were drug-tested with one returning an initial positive result.

This comes after yesterday's Dee Why crash where six people were hospitalised including a female police officer who suffered serious injuries.

The Daily Telegraph has reported the truck driver involved was Sam Nisan, 39.

He was delivering a 11.2 ton load of flour, sugar and other cargo for Top Express when he lost control and crashed into eight cars at the intersection of Warringah and Pittwater roads about 6am yesterday.

Mr Nisan, a sub-contractor, suffered a broken arm, neck and facial injures and was released from hospital last night.

This morning Roads and Maritime Services inspected Top Express trucks at Smithfield as part of the operation.

One driver, not from Top Express, has allegedly tested positive for methamphetamine during the operation.

The operation was due to start early next year but was moved forward after the Dee Why crash.

Two Top Express trucks were taken to Whetherill Park for more inspections after the initial checks.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Top Express Managing Director Maxin Sulaiman said the truck that crashed had previously been inspected by RMS four months ago and said the driver told him the brakes failed.

Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay said close to 300 frontline RMS vehicle inspectors worked with the NSW police - far more than any other state - to make roads safer.

"It's a small number who are the serious offenders and we're committed to stamping out this behavior - that's what these campaigns are about," he said. 

Topics:  police operation roads and maritime service

Big Rigs

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.