New mobile detection cameras to hit NSW and QLD roads
NEW safety cameras that can detect mobile phone usage in vehicles are about to hit New South Wales roads on December 1, but the NRMA are calling for police to tell the public where they are located.
Minister for Roads Andrew Constance and Minister for Regional Roads Paul Toole said the cameras will crack down on drivers illegally using their mobile phones when they were announced back in September.
NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury said they supported the cameras - and had helped push for their installation - however, said they needed to come with warning signs the same way speed cameras did.
"At the moment they don't," Mr Khoury said.
"There will be a combination of two fixed and the rest mobile," he said.
He said the NRMA supported the use of the cameras because "we don't want people using phones illegally because it's dangerous".
He said there had been an increase in fines related to the behaviour in New South Wales.
"We don't want the behaviour to continue but where we differ is the issue on signs and our position is well known".
The program will operate in warning letter mode for the first three months to reinforce the 'get your hand off it' message.
If you offend after that, you'll cop a $344 fine and five demerit points.
Meanwhile, Queensland Transport Minister Mark Bailey is due to unveil similar laws in Queensland today, which will more than double the current penalty of $400.
The Courier Mail reported that motorists busted on their mobile phones while driving will be slapped with a $1000 fine - a fine that's being described as Queensland having the toughest laws in the country.
The report revealed that drivers who are caught using their phone twice within a year could lose their licence.
The new penalty will come into effect from February 1, 2020, after the Government first flagged a potential shake up in June.
The fine will be among the world's highest for distracted driving and will be tougher than every other state in Australia.