$800 million boost for Cooroy-Curra Bruce Highway upgrade
THE state and federal governments have committed almost $800 million to fast-track construction of another stage of the Cooroy to Curra upgrade of the Bruce Highway.
Construction will start on the upgrade in the middle of next year.
Acting Premier Jeff Seeney and Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese announced the go-ahead for the Section A works while officially opening Section B of the highway upgrade today.
The State and Federal Governments will each contribute $395 million to fund continuation of the roadworks.
"This is fantastic news for Queenslanders and all motorists who travel on the Bruce Highway and after years of campaigning, Section A, from Cooroy southern interchange to Sankeys Road, will go ahead," Mr Seeney said.
"This announcement is a critical part of the Queensland Government's Bruce Highway Action Plan, aimed at improving safety and increasing capacity on one of our nation's most vital freight arterials."
The joint funding will build an additional 13.4-kilometre section of the highway which will greatly improve safety and travel times for the 20,000 motorists who use the road every day.
Mr Seeney said the now completed Section B upgrade was delivered on time and significantly under budget.
The Acting Premier and Federal Minister inspected those works today.
Mr Seeney said he was pleased that the federal and state governments were partnering up to now see work on Section A progress as quickly as possible.
The next stage of the Cooroy to Curra roadworks will be a major improvement to infrastructure in the region, and will play an important role in helping to save lives and boost the Queensland economy.
The Cooroy to Curra Section A project, involves the upgrade and realignment of the Bruce Highway south of Gympie and includes:
- Duplication of the existing two lane highway between the existing Cooroy Southern Interchange and the proposed Cooroy Northern Interchange;
- Construction of a new four lane highway to be located west of the existing Bruce highway between the proposed Cooroy Northern Interchange and Sankeys Road;
- An upgrade of the Cooroy Southern Interchange;
- Construction of a new grade separated Cooroy Northern Interchange;
- Replacement or the provision of new bridges/structures at six locations; and
- Provision of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) consistent with the Managed Motorways Policy.
The $790 upgrade of Section A between Cooroy to Curra will be funded on an equal basis by the Federal Labor Government and the Queensland LNP Government.