FLOODING has closed roads in Townsville and police are urging motorists to exercise caution in the wet.
Police are also asking people to alter their driving behaviour to the conditions and to heed road closure signs following heavy rainfall in the Townsville area.
Continued heavy rain has lead to a number of road closures, partial road closures and roads with water over them.
The following roads are listed as experiencing flooding but remember if conditions continue to deteriorate more roads are likely to become flooded:
• Bruce highway, lower Bohle Bridge, Deeragun closed. Police are attempting to divert northbound traffic on to one lane of the southbound road.
• Woolcock St at Bohle is temporarily closed.
• Ingham Rd and Bruce Highway at Bohle is closed with police on scene.
• Bohle Bridge on Hervey Range Rd, Bohle Plains is closed.
• Bruce Highway, Bluewater - water over the road use extreme caution.
• Bruce Highway and Pope Rd, Yabulu - water over the road use extreme caution.
• Hugh St between Fulham Rd and Palmerston St, Pimlico - partially closed
• Townsville Ring road inbound is heavily congested.
Motorists can also contact 131940 or go to www.131940.qld.gov.au/ to get further updates on road closures.
Police are also reminding the public of the danger of playing in flood waters which can be just as dangerous as driving through them with several deaths having occurred over the years from people being washed away in flood waters.